Opus One Winery
Subscribe to our newsletter and be
first to hear about wine news, exclusive events and tempting offers.
Order Opus One »
Top Vintages Produced:
1993, 1995, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot
Opus One – Cabernet Sauvignon (85%), Merlot,
Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot (15%)
Established by two of the wine world’s most respected figures, Opus One, based in Oakville, California
is one of the world’s elite wineries. The idea of a joint venture was born in 1970 when Robert Mondavi
and Baron Philippe de Rothschild met in Hawaii, but the concept did not materialise until 1978 when Mondavi
paid a visit to Château Mouton Rothschild.
In 1979, the first harvest of their Bordeaux-inspired blend took place and subsequent releases established
Opus One as one of America’s first ultra-premium wines, setting a precedent for the pricing of Napa Valley
luxury wines at $50 or more a bottle.(read more)
The name Opus One was chosen due to Mondavi and Rothschild’s desire to call their wine by a Latin name
that was easily recognisable internationally, ‘Opus’ being a musical term meaning ‘work’. Opus One therefore
means “first work,” which is fitting for a winery that makes a single, very fine, wine.
Today, Baroness Philippine de Rothschild has taken her late father’s position as partner, thus ensuring that
the name of Opus One still carries the prestige worthy of the remarkable wines produced.
Viticulture and Vinification
25,000 cases of Opus One are released each vintage and, as there is no second wine, the selection of fruit
is rigorous. After harvesting, the grapes are hand-sorted in order to select the ripest, most concentrated, grapes.
The free-run and press wines from the different plots are separated and the free-run wines are aged in new French
oak barriques in the semi-circular grand chai for 17 to 20 months before being blended. Aged press wine is then added,
giving the final blend backbone, more body and definition. The wines produced are intense, dramatic, long-lived and highly sought-after.
Cabernet Sauvignon is the dominant variety planted in the vineyards. Small amounts of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot are also grown.
- Opus One – 85% Cabernet Sauvignon; the remaining 15% of the blend is made up of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Petit Verdot.
Order top vintages of Opus One
- Opus One 2007: (95 RP)
"This is a sensational Opus One, with sweet tannin and impressive precision and depth..." – Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate
- Opus One 2005: (95 LPB)
"The palate is wonderfully concentrated with layers of macerated blackberry, cloves, vanilla and dark chocolate..." – Lisa Perrotti-Brown,
The Wine Advocate
- Opus One 1996: (94 RP)
"One of the finest Opus Ones to date...[with] a striking, intense bouquet of sweet licorice..." – Robert Parker,
The Wine Advocate