Château de Beaucastel
Subscribe to our newsletter and be
first to hear about wine news, exclusive events and tempting offers.
Château de Beaucastel
Order Château de Beaucastel »
Top Vintages Produced:
1981, 1989, 1990, 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Hommage à Jacques Perrin:
1989, 1990, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2009
Hommage à Jacques Perrin, Beaucastel Rouge:
Appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape Contrôlé
Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault, Vacarese, Counoise, Terret Noir, Muscardin, Clairette, Picpoul, Picardin, Bourboulenc and Roussanne
Hommage à Jacques Perrin – Mourvèdre (100%).
Beaucastel Rouge – Mourvèdre and Grenache (30%), Syrah, Counoise and Cinsault (70%)
Château de Beaucastel is arguably the most
celebrated wine of the southern Rhône and lies
within the appellation of Châteauneuf du Pape.
Currently managed by Jean Pierre and Francoise
Perrin, the Château has a lengthy history with the Beaucastel family having established themselves in
the area by 1549.
Châteauneuf du Pape, the
'Pope’s new castle',
takes its name from the 14th Century, when the
papal court re-located to Avignon. The monastery that was established there
significantly increased their vineyard holdings in
the region; however these unique and expressive
wines did not gain significant notoriety until the
early 19th Century.
Viticulture and Vinification
The terroir at Château de Beaucastel is
fascinating and distinctive. The topsoil contains
a high proportion of rounded stones, sometimes
referred to as galets. These galets make an
important contribution to the style and quality of
the wines, as they retain the heat from the sun
during the day and radiate it to the vines at
night. These 'natural radiators', combined with
the stony, aerated and free draining soil, and
large daily fluctuations in temperature within the
vineyard, provide for an exceptional quality of
fruit and a uniqueness in the wine that is
The Château cultivates all thirteen of the
permitted varieties within the appellation. This
allows for the production of complex, spicy, full
bodied and rich red wine and also for full bodied
and intriguing white wine. Also, the largely
organic methods adopted at the Château allow for
healthy, balanced grapes that are a true
expression of the terroir.
Each year the grapes are hand-picked and totally
de-stemmed, prior to vinification in fermentation
vats. All of the grape varieties are vinified
separately and are then blended, which is a time
consuming and meticulous process as the blends
vary from year to year. The wine is then matured
for 12 months in large oak barrels.
à Jacques Perrin is only produced in
outstanding vintages and is mostly made with fruit from ancient
Mourvèdre vines and is blended with Syrah,
Counoise and Grenache. This provides for
exceptionally concentrated wines, with aromas of
black cherry, cassis and spice that are capable of
ageing and improving for decades.
- Hommage à Jacques Perrin - Appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape Contrôlée
- Beaucastel Rouge - Appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape Contrôlée
- Beaucastel Blanc - Appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape Contrôlée
- Roussanne Vieilles Vignes - Appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape Contrôlée
- Coudoulet de Beaucastel Rouge - Appellation Cotes-du-Rhône Contrôlée
- Coudoulet de Beaucastel Blanc - Appellation Cotes-du-Rhône Contrôlée
- The Château cultivates all thirteen of the permitted varieties within the appellation: Grenache,
Syrah, Mourvèdre, Cinsault, Vacarese, Counoise, Terret Noir, Muscardin, Clairette, Picpoul, Picardin, Bourboulenc and Roussanne.
In each vintage the blends differ slightly as directed by the team of oenologists. However, the general make-up is as follows:
- Hommage à Jacques Perrin – made in selected vintages from very old Mourvèdre vines.
- Beaucastel Rouge – this wine is a blend of all 13 varieties with Mourvèdre and Grenache (30%) dominant in the blend and Syrah, Counoise and Cinsault making-up the majority of the rest.
- Beaucastel Blanc – 80% Roussanne, 15% Grenache Blanc and other various varieties.
- Roussanne Vieilles Vignes – 100% Roussanne.
- Coudoulet de Beaucastel Rouge – 30% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre, 20% Syrah and 20% Cinsault.
- Coudoulet de Beaucastel Blanc – 30% Marsanne, 30% Viognier, 30% Bourboulenc and 10% Clairette.
Order top vintages of Château de Beaucastel
- Hommage à Jacques Perrin 2007: (100 RP)
"The sumptuous aromatics are followed by a wine of compelling intensity ...an utterly perfect wine." – Robert Parker,
The Wine Advocate
- Château de Beaucastel 2007: (96 RP)
"A glorious nose of blue and black fruits... buttressing the fruit’s fabulous freshness and vibrancy." – Robert Parker,
The Wine Advocate
- Château de Beaucastel 2001: (96 RP)
"It is a superb, earthy expression of this Mourvèdre-dominated cuvee..." – Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate